Ryan Cheuk Him Sun
Thematic Research Area
Regional Research Area
- Cheuk Him Ryan Sun, “The Holocaust and Hong Kong: An Overlooked History,” Journal of Holocaust Studies 29, vol. 3 (2023): 393-413. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17504902.2022.2057118.
- “The possibilities in-transit: Helmut Newton’s experiences on a Shanghai-bound ship.” Blogpost for Refugee History
- “The Multiple Lives of Gerda Gottfried’s Notebook,” Zachor (Spring, 2023): 20-21, 24.
- “Small Insights: Revisiting the VHEC’s Shanghai Oral History Project,” Zachor (Spring, 2022): 6-8.
- Also republished in the Jewish Independent as “Revisiting Oral Histories“
- “Boredom and Excitement at Sea: Jewish Refugees’ Experiences on Ships Bound for Shanghai.” Lecture delivered at USC Dornsife Center for Advanced Genocide Research, February 2023.
Select Awards and Scholarships
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- 2022-2023 Breslauer, Rutman, and Anderson Research Fellowship, USC Dornsife Center for Advanced Genocide Research, University of Southern California
- Fritz Thyssen Pre-Dissertation Fellowship, Pacific Regional Office of the German Historical Institute
- Conway Summer Travel Scholarship in German History, University of British Columbia
- Four Year Fellowship, University of British Columbia
- SSHRC Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship Master’s Award